Dual Task design

CT_Robert dolphin2002 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 20:59:47 UTC 2010

Hi All,
I am new to E-Prime, and I've been through a few of the tutorials.  I
think I need some advice on how to set-up the following design with 2
tasks.

1) Task 1.  Conditioned Fear.  Subject hears one of two distinct
tones.  Each tone is on for 7.5s.  For TONE1, after the 7.5s, a loud
aversive tone is played for 500ms (CS+).  For TONE2, after the 7.5s,
no tone is played (CS-).  There is a 10s ITI between these tones
occurring.

2) Task 2. Go/No-Go Task.  Participant sees an X or a K in the middle
of the screen.  Participant is to press the space bar when he sees an
X and to withhold responding when he sees a K.  These are on for 500ms
and have a jittered ITI.  This task should occur thoughout both
conditions of Task 1 as well as during the ITI.

The goal is to see how performance on the Go/No-Go task is affected by
the increased arousal seen in the fearful condition (TONE1), so I will
compare responding during TONE1 and TONE2.

I somebody could give me some design advice, I will give it a try and
return if I encounter problems.  Offhand, I am trying  Trial Procedure
with two Slides, 1 auditory, 1 visual.  But, they seem to proceed
sequentiall.  So, my 7.5s Auditory stimulus plays completely before
moving on to the GoNoGo stimulus.  I'd like the Auditory to start, and
then move on to the next slide in the Procedure.

But, perhaps this is a bad approach?  Advice?

Thanks so much.

Robert