Specifying output data file location?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Feb 2 02:12:09 UTC 2010

Hmm, on further thought (without benefit of getting StartupInfo files to
work yet myself) I think that, in order to have each student's data
files go into a separate directory, you would still need to give each
student their own copy of the experiment program along with a mated
StartupInfo file.  This still seems rather clumsy -- among other things
every time you revised the experiment program you would have to redo all
the copies for each student, and you could accomplish much the same end
without StartupInfo files just by giving each student their own
directory containing their own copy of the experiment program.  So I
might have to retract a bit of my earlier enthusiasm for the StartupInfo
file mechansism.

(BTW, the "New Features Guide" that went out with EP2.0.8.73 has the
wrong figure for section 1.6.2.1 about the StartupInfo Editor.  Matt at
PST kindly sent me his original (and correct) version of that section,
and I posted that at http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic4015-6-1.aspx for
everyone.)

But now the good news -- I totally cracked this longstanding problem!
(Or did I just fail to do a proper search of the archive?).  It's not
even that hard, and we had the clues all along in the code that E-Studio
generates for the Main() routine.  I will post my solution in a separate
thread with a title like "How to use a custom data file or path name."