How random is random?

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 11 14:08:19 UTC 2010

If you don't want to see your random looking unrandomly, it pays off to use randomisation without replacement... That is, just make an array with your angles and randomise that. That will 'make it look more random' (though it is obviously less so), and I suspect we, humans, just tend to be very unrandom about random in general (i.e. the number 1111111 looking much less random than 2148712, for instance). Other than that, I suggest what E-Basic Help will tell you:

Syntax

Randomize [number]

Description

Initializes the random number generator with a new seed.

Comments

If number is not specified, then the current value of the system clock is used.

Example

'This example sets the randomize seed to a random number between
'100 and 1000, then generates ten random numbers for the lottery.
Const crlf = Chr$(13) + Chr$(10)
Sub Main()
	Randomize						'Start with new random seed.
	For x = 1 To 10
		y = Random(0,100)		'Generate numbers.
		message = message + Str(y) + crlf
	Next x
	MsgBox "Ten numbers for the lottery: " & crlf & message

End Sub

Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé