scoring a nonresponse as a correct answer

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Feb 23 22:43:10 UTC 2010

Jim,

>I think I understand Mich's response now. Essentially, there needs to
>be a gap between the end of the response interval of a given stimulus
>and the presentation of the next instance of the same stimulus? What
>would be the least disruptive way to change my task so that non-
>duration to 1249ms)?

Hmm, even if that worked I think there is a better way.

>  Also just to make sure I'm clear on this, Is this
>problem related to the fact that my objects have 100ms of prerelease
>or is this a totally separate issue?

Quite likely related, the more I understand your program.

>I read the timing chapter twice and the prerelease section more than
>that; unfortunately I am still very confused. Your general guidelines
>help. From your description, it really seems like one should not use
>prerelease if they are logging responses. Or I'm just misunderstanding
>you :)

No, you got that right.  I would start with all PreRelease set to 0,
and then add PreRelease only as needed.  And instead of doing this in
my actual experiment program, I would start with a lot of little demo
programs as exercises to first test my understanding.  Cumulative
mode should do everthing you need to make sure that your task program
stays more or less in sync with external equipment (brain scan,
etc.), even in the presence of large OnsetDelays (in fact I have
sometimes deliberately taken advantage of that fact); PreRelease
contributes nothing to synchronizing with external equipment, and
comes into play only when you need to reduce individual OnsetDelays,
and even then some cases require techniques that go beyond PreRelease
(preloading/caching, etc.).  So leave PreRelease at 0 until you know
you need it, and know *why* and *where* you need it.

>I tried setting all objects to cumulative
>mode. Timing was relatively repeatable accross runs (give or take a
>millisecond); however, when I responded to the stimuli instead of just
>letting the task run without responses, the timing was not repeatable
>(30-50ms off).

That's just weird.  Unless... unless you have End Action = (none) or
Jump anywhere, then all bets are off.  But then you should also get
off by much more than 30-50 ms.  Or unless you have some inline code
messing with TargetOnsetTime, or skipping past some objects, but
short of that, with Cumulative Timing everything should Just Work
regardless of responses.  So maybe it's time for you to take this to
a local expert who can look at the program, or send it back to your
collaborator and have their developer fix this.