Collecting data continuously for 2 objects

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Feb 25 21:00:21 UTC 2010

Sarah,

Glad you got it to work.  Not that you need this now, but here is
another trick that I have used in a situation somewhat like
yours.  Suppose we have a StimSlide followed by a MaskText to erase
the stimulus, where StimSlide lasts for 500 ms or until a response
(whichever comes first), and we want the whole trial to last 1500 ms
regardless of response time (i.e., MaskText should last the remainder
of the 1500 ms after the termination of StimSlide).  We still need a
bit of inline code between StimSlide and MaskText, but instead of
doing the calculation directly (which can get tricky to take account
of onset delays, etc.), we set both objects to Cumulative timing
mode, set the Duration of MaskText to a constant 1500 ms, and use the
following single line of code:

SetNextTargetOnsetTime StimSlide.TargetOnsetTime

E-Prime then automatically takes care of the rest.  Just think about
it (and maybe look at SetNextTargetOnsetTime in the online E-Basic
Help).  Even though MaskText starts well into the 1500 ms, that
doesn't matter, because E-Prime still takes MaskText.TargetOnsetTime
to be the same as StimSlide.TargetOnsetTime, and as a result
MaskText.TargetOffsetTime becomes StimSlide.TargetOnsetTime + 1500,
which is all that we want.  Whew!

Now, I am still a bit puzzled about exactly what your Wait1 does,
since unless you have ClearAfter = Yes on your ImageDisplay then the
ImageDisplay would remain during the Wait1.  Usually when we want to
erase a display we follow it with a blank TextDisplay instead of
using ClearAfter with a Wait object, but I suppose that is a matter
of personal programming style.

Regards,