Graphic Software for stimulus design

Michael Erickson michael.erickson at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 11 15:34:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Tobi <tobias.fw at gmail.com> wrote:

> our group is currently planning to buy some software licenses, among
> them software for stimulus design, i.e. mostly simple geometric
> shapes. I was wondering what other people might use for such purposes.
> Do you have a favourite software solution you might recommend?

For simple geometric shapes, GIMP & Photoshop seem ill suited.  You probably
want something that is vector-based (until you export bitmaps for E-Prime).
I use xfig on Linux, but it looks like winfig might do a good job under MS
Windows.

http://www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig/

also, xfig itself can be installed on Windows under cygwin.

Another consideration is using a programming language to generate the
shapes, but if they're simple enough to do that, you may as well use
E-Basic.  In the past, however, we have used R and MATLAB to generate
stimuli such as Gabor
patches<https://sfari.org/image/image_gallery?img_id=50031&t=1238002532271>and
Fourier
descriptors <http://www.rbej.com/content/figures/1477-7827-6-33-9-l.jpg>.

Only in the case of MATLAB would you need to pay for a license.

Michael