David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jan 14 22:36:15 UTC 2010

Ah, posting your .txt file was the key.  Getting the external file
format right is tricky, and I don't know where PST documents this
(but try the List.Filename, List.LoadMethod, and List.Load topics in
the online E-Basic Help), but I will suggest a way out at the end.

So as a bit of personal exercise, I made a little demo program using
your sample .txt (which I will send you separately).  Your main
problem is that your .txt is not properly formatted.  In particular,
you have your Procedure and Nested columns mixed up, and you do not
have a tab between the Stimulus and CorrectAnswer headings.  With
those changes your file works OK.

You will note that my demo program uses no script.  It also has a
fully formed TrialList which then gets replaced by the loaded list (I
set the Weight to 0 as a hint that List entries come from somewhere
else).  This is not necessary, but it helps to visualize things.

And here is the real hint:  Start by making a small version of your
List in E-Studio, and leave the List Load Method at Embedded.  Then
generate the script and look down at the bottom for the generated
embedded List.  Copy that into a text editor.  Voila!  You now have a
properly formatted template that you may edit for your final external
list.  Then set your List Load Method to File, etc.