beginners questions

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Jan 18 19:03:21 UTC 2010

At 1/18/2010 12:26 PM Monday, Michiel Spape wrote:
>one wonders what you’re using E-Prime for
 if
>it’d be questionnaires and such, I’d say go for
>an entirely different programme (unless you’re
>like me and find it cool to do things the difficult way?).

<Jumping on the bandwagon...>

Yeah, I hate it when folks try to press E-Prime
into service for simple questionnaires.  EP
simply is not made for that, its sole purpose is
for tasks that require tight control and
measurement of timing, otherwise folks make
things too difficult for themselves.  Around here
we have found MediaLab from Empirisoft very
useful for all sorts of questionnaires.  Or if
you can get your hands on any decent web
programmer you could do questionnaires very
handily in any web browser using HTML, CSS, and
JavaScript (with a bit of ActiveX in IE if you
want automatic storage of data to disk).  Heck,
much of the Web these days is basically
questionnaires, take a look around, so if folks
can do all that for web apps without E-Prime, why
not for simple psychology questionnaires?

Just my US$.02.

"When all is said and told, the 'naturalness'
with which we use our native tongues boils down
to the ease with which we can use them for making
statements the nonsense of which is not
obvious."  -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, "On the
foolishness of 'natural language programming'"
(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD06xx/EWD667.html)