do not want same stimulus in a row but need overall random selection

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jan 26 20:27:44 UTC 2010

Sarah,

This topic comes up again and again, as you can see at
http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2186-5-1.aspx ,
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic3166-5-1.aspx , and
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic3178-5-1.aspx , or by running
your own search with appropriate search terms (I like to refer to
"consectutive repeats" or "tandem repeats", but some folks refer to
"runs" or "two in a row" or "twice in a row").

You have a very simple case, so you might make do by adapting the
NoRepeat.es example downloadable from PST.  Just know that their
algorithm will fail for cases of any complexity, as it is a form of
"bogosort" (look that up on Wikipedia).  By contrast, you can find an
elegant, formally proven, general solution in Remillard, G. (2008) "A
program for generating randomized simple and context-sensitive
sequences", Beh Res Meth 40 (2): 484-492, and Remillard, G., & Clark,
J. M. (1999) "Generating fixed-length sequences statisfying any given
nth-order transition probability matrix", Beh Res Meth, Instr, &
Computers 31: 235-243, but I have not seen this implemented yet in
E-Prime.  I have a less elegant but possibly more serviceable
algorithm that I present briefly in the above threads, although I
still have not gotten around to implementing that in E-Prime myself
(I did do it long ago in C, which I still find a much more suitable
platform for this kind of work).

Good luck,
"When all is said and told, the 'naturalness' with which we use our
native tongues boils down to the ease with which we can use them for
making statements the nonsense of which is not obvious."  -- Edsger
W. Dijkstra, "On the foolishness of 'natural language programming'"
(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD06xx/EWD667.html)