Specifying output data file location?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Jan 29 16:35:32 UTC 2010

Liza,

OK, now that I have looked at the documentation, I can say that the
StartupInfo file absolutely addresses your original question, i.e.,
it provides a fine mechanism for managing the data file name and path
in any way you like, and many more things besides.  Your programs can
even modify the StartupInfo file with your own script.  Think of the
possibilities!  Every once in a while PST gets something right, and
this looks like one of those times.  It's just too bad that they are
so stingy in releasing the information.

However, you have only EP2 "base" rather than Pro.  You need Pro if
you want to use the StartupInfo Editor.  OTOH, if you understand the
format then you can edit the StartupInfo file with any text editor
(which may well offer some advantages over PST's clumsy StartupInfo
Editor).  Then again, I do not yet know whether non-Pro installations
can use StartupInfo files even if they cannot edit them, nor do I
have any solid information on what version numbers can use
StartupInfo files.  Matt Lenhart at PST tells me, "the *.startupinfo
files should work in any version of E-Prime 2.0 that supports them
(2.0.8.11 or later)".  However, my own tests with EP2.0.8.22 Pro
failed -- I have asked Matt to send me a full working demo (or even
better, to post one for us all up on the PST web site), we will see
where that goes.  Note also that, although EP1.2 generates script
that hints at the ability to use StartupInfo files, "Support for
*.startupinfo files is not included in E-Prime 1.x."

<editorial>
That said, I cannot imagine why Cindy Carper set you on the wrong
path to using the E-DataPath environment variable instead of guiding
you to the StartupInfo file, which actually addresses your
question.  She should know better.
</editorial>