Face Recognition Task

scarpais scarpais at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jan 30 10:16:02 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As a newcomer to E Prime I have been told that my proposed experiment
is going to be too problematic to design using E Prime. My initial
idea was to design a dot-probe task to measure response times and
accuracy to the dot probe following paired presentations of a neutral
vs. an emotional face (happy/sad) and also for neutral vs. emotional
words.

I have went to some lengths however to get my stimuli and would like
to design something based around this. I was thinking perhaps a face
recognition task to investigate response times and accuracy once more.
This time, the faces would be presented in the first instance, a
mixture of both happy, sad and neutral but this time only one pic at a
time. Following this, I would like to present a some words
sequentially. Again these would be a mix of neutral and emotional
words.

 After this, I would like to present the target  faces once more and
also some face stimuli not included in the first part of the
experiment and ask participants to state whether this face appeared in
the first trial or not and then do the same again for the words.
Measuring both accuracy and response times.

This doesn't sound too complicated to me but as a relatively new
EPrimer I am clueless as to how to go about doing this. I have a
couple of starting up guides with examples and wondered if anyone had
an example/tutorial that would show me step by step how to do this
particular type of experiment? If not, if anyone had any suggestions
as to how I can do another experiment using this stimuli I'd be
extremely grateful.

I have been informed that my task is to design an experiment using E
Prime and that it does not matter if it is from an online example or
tutorial as long as it is not one of the ones from the E Prime
starting guide.

Thanks for reading this!