Face Recognition Task

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:44:44 UTC 2010

Hey Scarpais,

Quite frankly I fail to see how a dot-probe is too problematic to
design using e-prime. E-prime is absolutely able to 'do it'. So...
could it be that your teacher actually tried to say that your set-up
was too complex for that specific assignment? I.e. a too complex
design for the given time?

As for your new design: it seems about as complex as your intial
design was? Is what you describe the course of a single trial or the
complete test? I gather the latter? Then what would be the purpose of
response times?

Do I get this correctly: you first want to run a list of faces each
shown once for a designated time and the subject does not need to do
anything but view? Followed by a list of words and again the subject
only needs to view? Then faces are shown again and this time the
subject needs to indicate by a buttonpress whether or not this face
has been shown before, followed by a word list and again subjecst need
to indicate whether or not they recognise the words?

Well you had a basic lesson of e-prime so you're familiair with lists
and procedures. What you need are four lists on your testprocedure,
one for each type of stimulus (faces no interaciton, words no
interaction, words recognition and faces recognition) and a separate
procedure for each proc. Each procedure would hold a slide  (or a text/
imageobject) that shows the stimulus and has it's properties set to
the needs of that list. And perhaps some fancy extra's like a
trialinterval slide. It's really quite simple.

Don't fear e-prime! Open your e-studio and simply start making the
first part of the experiment: faces passive viewing. Once you got that
you can add the words passive viewing and from there it's not hard to
create the faces and words recognitions lists and procedures. Just
take it step by step and I think you'll find that it's all far less
difficult than you think now.

Also: Michiel's book is a really nice guide, and I read that you have
some other guides as well. Consult them when you're stuck but dont'
fear to just start fiddling around in e-studio.

Good luck!

liw