Data extraction from edat file

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 14:36:31 UTC 2010

To add to this, and also not able to provide many tips, I'd suggest merging the files first, THEN exporting. But I suppose that might be too obvious.

Anyway, in Matlab, it's pretty easy to just import the whole lot as text format. I think I still have some matlab code, if you need it:

names=0;
Filenames{1}='Collision 1i-201-1.gazedata';

nSubjects = size(Filenames,2);

for cSubject = 1: nSubjects

     disp(['Subject ' num2str(cSubject) ' of ' num2str(nSubjects) ' reading data']);
    [EyeData.Subject,EyeData.Session, EyeData.ID, EyeData.TETTime, EyeData.RTTime, EyeData.CursorX, EyeData.CursorY, EyeData.TimestampSec, EyeData.TimestampMicrosec, EyeData.XGazePosLeftEye, EyeData.YGazePosLeftEye, EyeData.XCameraPosLeftEye, EyeData.YCameraPosLeftEye, EyeData.DiameterPupilLeftEye, EyeData.DistanceLeftEye, EyeData.ValidityLeftEye, EyeData.XGazePosRightEye, EyeData.YGazePosRightEye, EyeData.XCameraPosRightEye, EyeData.YCameraPosRightEye, EyeData.DiameterPupilRightEye, EyeData.DistanceRightEye, EyeData.ValidityRightEye, EyeData.Subject, EyeData.TrialNum, EyeData.WhichTask, EyeData.Proc, EyeData.StartPosModCue, EyeData.StartPosModTarget, EyeData.DistractorHidden, EyeData.TargetHitsCue, EyeData.DistractorHitsCue, EyeData.Phase, EyeData.TaskTime, EyeData.ACC, EyeData.RT, EyeData.TargetX, EyeData.TargetY, EyeData.CueX, EyeData.CueY, EyeData.DistractorX, EyeData.DistractorY]=textread(Filenames{cSubject}, '%f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %s %s %f %f %f %f %f %s %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f %f', 'delimiter', '\t','headerlines',1);
End

%Notice that Filenames here only contains one. Furthermore, these gazedata files are Tobii text files, pretty much the same as exported .edat files. \t is tab-based delimiter, and the whole lot is imported in various variable names in MatLab.

Hope that helps, sorry for the difficult-to-read code (matlab does that, I find).
Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow