Videos freezing unpredictably during E-Prime 2.0 expts

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 7 10:06:06 UTC 2010

dear list,

I have a vaguely defined problem, just curious whether there's anyone
else on this list who has been running experiments with lots of video
clips - to see whether our own problems are typical or not & maybe
getting some suggestions for troubleshooting.

We're doing sign language experiments, displaying video clips one at a
time and collecting a keypress response for each.  Video clips are .avi,
about 8MB each, and all work fine for display by E-Prime as far as we
can tell (eg by running a demo program that displays the videos one at a
time in sequence).

However when we are running the experiment, at a certain point the
experiment tends to freeze, requiring a hard reboot.  This is usually
while the video is still on screen and a response has been made, in the
midst of writing the text file (info logged on a trial), because a line
in the text file is not written completely, eg

"...
DisplayVideo.ACC: 1
DisplayVideo.RT: 1719
DisplayVi"   [end of text file]

Most of the crashes seem to occur about 1,000,000ms after starting, +/-
about 10000msec (If the experiment finishes in about 16min or less, it
seems to go fine... so far). Screen saver is disabled, power settings
are set to "presentation", anti-virus is not running, etc.

I know this is a problem that should be directed to E-Prime's online
support at http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
but I completely dread the idea of waiting a week or two for their first
suggestion on such an ill-defined problem.

Any suggestions of any kind would be most welcome - my usual
troubleshooting approach of re-creating the problem in a very simple
test experiment doesn't seem to work here: small scale experiments run
perfectly fine.

Thanks!
dv
--