Videos freezing unpredictably during E-Prime 2.0 expts

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 7 11:22:58 UTC 2010

Hi,
Just the usual when working with video files: .AVI (audio-video interlace) is not a format; many different formats using a plenitude of different codecs can be called avi (e.g. divx, xvid, etc). The problem is likely either with the files themselves - and if you want, you could re-encode them to a codec that will work better on your PC, using, for example, windows movie maker or some such - or with the codecs that are installed on your PC. This problem is often (and presumably also for the PST helpdesk) difficult to grasp since different installed codecs may sometimes be able to 'understand' the format, yet conflict with one another. I'd suggest cleaning your pc from any codec pack (should such be installed), then try some tried and tested codec pack (e.g. k-lite basic), or install merely the codec required by your video files (I know there are ways of extracting that information, I forgot how, but there's A LOT of pro and amateur video community on the internet). Should that fail, you might have to go through the laborious job of re-encoding all your video.

Your problem, however, sounds more like a hardware problem of some sort; does it also occur on different pc's that have different vga-cards and different codecs installed?
Hope that helps.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé