My First Project

Atieh atieh.moonlight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 14:25:26 UTC 2010

Hi all
I am college student and I have an internship in N.I.H . I really need
to learn E_prime , but I can not make my first task right and I don't
know which steps I did wrong . Can somebody describe each step of this
task for me ? I would be grateful if somebody help me . This is the task :

Multitask Badre Wagner Neuron 2004

Figure 1. Task Schematic Depicting the Order and Timing of Events during
Each Trial and Illustrating the Four Conditions at Response

(A) All trials began with the serial presentation of three words
followed by a bias cue. Subjects used this cue to select or prepare the
expected response. Following a 3000 ms delay, a response cue was
presented in red. The subject was given 1500 ms to respond. There were
two types of Response cues, with each cueing either an Expected or
Unexpected response, resulting in four conditions at response.

(B) When a word (Repeat) cue was presented at response, subjects
covertly repeated the word and pressed a button. On 75% of Repeat
trials, the word cued the Expected response; on the remaining 25% of
trials, the response was Unexpected.

(C) When a number (Refresh) cue was presented, subjects covertly
repeated the word from the memory set that corresponded to that number
in ordinal position (e.g., "2" cued the second word). Again, on 75% of
the trials the number cued the Expected response, and on 25% of the
trials the response was Unexpected.

On each trial, a 3 s delay followed presentation of the bias cue, and
then a final response cue was presented to signal the target response to
be immediately executed (Figure 1A). The response cue signaled either
the expected or an unexpected response---a manipulation of response
selection demands. Moreover, the cue stimulus either directly mapped
onto a response or required access to recently active representations
within working memory---a manipulation of refresh and
subgoal/integration demands. These conditions and their implications for
control processing are further detailed below.
The sensitivity of PFC to "response selection" demands was tested by
arranging a mismatch on conflict trials between the expected response,
based on the bias cue, and the cued response (Figure 1B). On half of the
trials, the response cue was a word (Repeat cue), and subjects were
instructed to covertly repeat the word and press a button once having
done so. The word was always one of the three words from that trial's
memory set. Furthermore, 75% of the time the Repeat cue, and thus the
response, was the same as the word that had been expected based on the
bias cue presented prior to the delay and so was consistent with the
Expected response (i.e., no response conflict). For the remaining 25% of
Repeat trials, the response cue corresponded to one of the other words
in the memory set, thus requiring an Unexpected response. Accordingly,
during Unexpected trials, the prepared or prepotent response was
incongruent with the response signaled by the response cue. Hence,
analogous to the Stroop task, Repeat-Unexpected trials required
selection of a response pathway based on bottom-up visual input in the
face of a task-irrelevant, prepotent response (although, in contrast to
Stroop, here the prepotent response was established by a top-down bias
or selection process engaged upon presentation of the bias cue rather
than a learned preexperimental association). Thus, for Repeat trials any
sensitivity of PFC to expectation would reflect response conflict and
response selection demands.
To test the sensitivity of PFC to refresh and subgoaling/integration
demands, we devised two additional conditions in which response conflict
was present or absent in the face of a need to execute a subgoal
entailing the integration of two cues, and to subsequently refresh a
recently active representation (Raye et al., 2002). Specifically, in the
Refresh condition, the response cue entailed a symbolic stimulus that
required retrieval of a representation from within working memory, with
some trials requiring an expected response and others requiring an
unexpected response (Figure 1C). During the half of all events that were
Refresh trials, the response cue was a number (Refresh cue), rather than
a word. As with the bias cue, the Refresh cue referred to the ordinal
position of one of the words. In response to the Refresh cue, subjects
were to covertly repeat the corresponding word that was cued by the
number (Raye et al., 2002) and to press a button once having done so.
Hence, differential sensitivity to this condition over the Repeat
condition might reflect processes engaged to refresh a recently active
representation within working memory. Importantly, Refresh trials
further required subgoaling/integration because the symbolic response
cue had to be specified prior to response selection. That is, Refresh
trials necessitated that the response cue be compared/integrated with
the bias cue to determine if the prepared response was or was not the
target response. This integration stage entailed execution of a subgoal
en route to satisfying the global goal of executing a response
independent of whether the response was expected or not, a distinction
that differentiates this integration process from the hypothesized
refresh process. Hence, to the extent that a region of PFC is engaged in
refreshing, it should principally reveal a difference between
Refresh-Unexpected and Repeat-Unexpected. Whereas, if a region of PFC is
critical for subgoaling/integration, it should be sensitive to the need
to Refresh regardless of whether the response is expected or unexpected,
because both conditions require subgoaling and integration.
In addition to the main effects of refreshing and
subgoaling/integration, response conflict was also manipulated within
the Refresh condition. As in the Repeat condition, for 75% of Refresh
trials the number cued the same word as had been indicated by the bias
cue, and so the response was Expected even though the representation
cueing the response (a symbolic cue) differed from the prepared
representation (the response word). For the remaining 25% of Refresh
trials, the number cued one of the other two words, and so the response
was Unexpected. Thus, as with the Repeat-Unexpected condition, the
Refresh-Unexpected condition required a response in the presence of
conflict from the prepared but irrelevant response.