Serial port input device

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jul 13 21:16:26 UTC 2010

>this is the first time that we have tried them [serial port and adapter].

And that is the key factor here.  I think you should give up on the
serial port, there is a reason that the PST Serial Response Box costs
$700.  But if you want to persist, here are a few thoughts:

1) Get the book "Serial Port Complete" by Jan Axelson.

2) Build your serial adapter to emulate the SRBox, then just treat it
as an ordinary SRBox in EP.  If you examine the SRBox communications
with a simple terminal emulater (e.g., Terminal Plus!) then you
should be able to reverse engineer it.

3) Just purchase a PST SRBox, then you can connect your button box to
the SRBox and let the SRBox act as the serial adapter.