Another question on using the mouse as the input device.

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Jul 30 15:26:20 UTC 2010

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours (although current
estimates are more like 10 days) -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of it.  3) If
you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend the courtesy
of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

>I've managed to get my experiment to run using a slide display.  The
>basic premise of the experiment is that a balloon will appear on the
>screen and the participant clicks on the balloon to "burst" it and
>continue to the next trial, which is just another balloon. There will
>be 3 conditions in the experiment, and the number of balloons in each
>trial will increase across the conditions, giving participants a
>choice of which balloon they want to burst.

IOW, a Balloon Analog Risk Task (aka BART), pioneered I believe by
Carl Lejuez and others at the University of Maryland.  I programmed
one myself in E-Prime based on their materials (but please do not ask
me for my program, we have not yet figured out a policy or mechanism
for releasing our task software).

>However, I can't seem to get e-prime to display the mouse's cursor on
>the screen, which will mean that participants will not be able to
>actually click on the balloon they want to burst. Surely there is some
>way of showing the cursor?
>
>Any tips?

1) Mouse.ShowCursor True
Put this in an inline whenever you what to show the cursor (see the
MouseDevice topic in the online E-Basic Help).  This is what most of
us would do.

or, 2) Edit > Experiment... > Devices > Mouse > Edit... > Show Cursor = Yes
will show the cursor from the start of the experiment.

David McFarlane, Professional Faultfinder