send event related signal to serial/parallel ports

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jun 1 14:35:48 UTC 2010

Estelle,

At 5/31/2010 09:23 AM Monday, you wrote:
>I understand the parallel port communication is faster than the
>serial port communication.

There is actually quite a bit more to it than that.  I just checked
my earlier discussion at
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2496-8-1.aspx , and perhaps that
still does not quite answer your question, so I will attempt another
short explanation here:  A serial port sends a sequence of brief
pulses over a single wire, using voltages of +12 or - 12.  By
contrast, a parallel port sends each signal steadily over a separate
wire, using voltages of +5 or 0.  As you can readily see, these are
vastly different mechanisms and cannot be easily interchanged.  Else,
why would we even bother giving them separate names?

>I guess I will have to find a computer with a parallel port since
>mine only has serial.

Alternatively, note that in another recent thread here we have
discussed using a commercial USB device to provide digital
I/O.  However, this would require considerably more code.

As usual, do not take my word for any of this, but look it up for
yourself.  For those really interested, see the books "Parallel Port
Complete" and "Serial Port Complete" by Jan Axelson.