send event related signal to serial/parallel ports

Estelle Breton estelle.breton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:40:25 UTC 2010

Ok thank you !

I am starting to understand better how this all works, Thank you for your
patience !

People I work with have developped a specific device that respond to the DTR
pin (serial device). It basically reacts when this specific pin is turned on
or off. I would like to toggle this pin using an inline object just before
an event in my ePrime protocol.

Does anyone know if this is something possible ? How can I adress other pins
than the receive or transmit pin with e-basic code ?

thanks for the support !

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:35 AM, David McFarlane <mcfarla9 at msu.edu> wrote:

> Estelle,
>

> At 5/31/2010 09:23 AM Monday, you wrote:
>
>> I understand the parallel port communication is faster than the serial
>> port communication.
>>

> There is actually quite a bit more to it than that.  I just checked my
> earlier discussion at http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2496-8-1.aspx ,
> and perhaps that still does not quite answer your question, so I will
> attempt another short explanation here:  A serial port sends a sequence of
> brief pulses over a single wire, using voltages of +12 or - 12.  By
> contrast, a parallel port sends each signal steadily over a separate wire,
> using voltages of +5 or 0.  As you can readily see, these are vastly
> different mechanisms and cannot be easily interchanged.  Else, why would we
> even bother giving them separate names?
>

> I guess I will have to find a computer with a parallel port since mine only
>> has serial.
>>

> Alternatively, note that in another recent thread here we have discussed
> using a commercial USB device to provide digital I/O.  However, this would
> require considerably more code.
>
> As usual, do not take my word for any of this, but look it up for yourself.
>  For those really interested, see the books "Parallel Port Complete" and
> "Serial Port Complete" by Jan Axelson.
>

> -- David McFarlane, Professional Faultfinder
>
> --

Estelle