how to make the program choose a particular image depending on the previously shown image

Judit txurimate at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 16:01:13 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I'm new in this group and also in EPrime programming. I've only used
EPrime without script and now I'm starting to learn how to program.

I have a first question, it must sound silly to most of you but I'd
really appreciate your answers.

I'm currently designing a visual working memory experiment. I need to
show items such as a blue triangle, a red circle and so on and at test
show a probe that would be either the shape alone or a colour blob
(participants should then recall the colour in which the shape was
presented or the shape that appeared in a particular colour).

The image files are organised like this:

11.bmp=Red circle
12.bmp=Red triangle

21.bmp=Blue circle
22.bmp=Blue triangle

How can I tell the program to randomly present 2 coloured shapes at
study, and and test probe with only ONE feature of one of the
previously shown items? Importantly, features cannot be repeated
within a trial.

I've already done it by creating nested lists, but manually choosing a
target, lets say 11.bmp, and then manually making it show a red blob
colour. Is it a way to tell the program something like "if the target
filename starts with 1, then show a red blob, if it starts with 2,
then show a blue blob, or if it ends with 1, then show a circle" and
so on.

I would like to do it by script so it could be automatic, cause I
don't want all participants to have the same manually chosen targets.
How would the code be and where should I place it?

Many, many thanks in advance!
Judit.