adding and subtracting

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Jun 11 19:45:56 UTC 2010

Matt,

>Quick question for anyone; I’m looking to perform some basic
>arithmetic operations within a lottery experiment. There are four
>values in the lottery 10, 8, 5, and 3 and each value currently
>contains 10 trials which range from .10, .20, … to 1.00. On each
>trial, the value will be either increased or decreased dependent upon
>which trial is currently operating, e.g. .10 will increase or decrease
>the value of 10. Thus, after decreasing the value five times, the new
>value would be 9.50. Is there a way to accomplish this without the use
>of an inline and if not

Only if you can assign each sequence in advance
withouth regard to subject responses.  In that
case you might just put each possible sequence of
values in a List and roll out the chosen sequence
as needed.  Otherwise, you will need inline code.

>, can anyone direct me to some script that adds or subtracts?

Not me.  Best to take care of that yourself,
start studying Chapter 4 of the User Guide that
came with E-Prime, you will need some inline
code, as well as some global variables defined in
the User Script area.  Even better, start with an
Introduction to Computer Programming class to get
some basic computer programming concepts.

Good luck,