CRT vs. LCD

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 16:27:56 UTC 2010

One thing though:
"you never see an entire, let's say circle but your brain makes you see it as the point and lines are drawn so rapidly."

Psychologists, like me, like to bring the brain into the picture (if not, the mind), but (correct me if I'm wrong - I tend to forget my high school knowledge!) the eyes (or at least the cones in the retina) can't 'see' the difference either. The important thing for many an experiment, therefore, is not whether the stuff stays on the screen for X ms, but whether it stays on the retina for as long - show a word for 20 ms on whatever monitor, followed by a blank screen, and you can easily read it. Show the same word, but now with a nice mask after it - not so much.

Anyway, I use CRT screens, as long as I can still get them (don't know if that will be too long), usually at 100 Hz. I'm doing a lot of experiments with circles and whatnot moving across the screen, running at a semi-perpetual loop at 100 Hz, so it kind of matters what screen I use (though it doesn't matter much, I guess, as people don't see much of a difference between 100 Hz moving (my experiment), 50 Hz (TV, I think?) and 25 Hz (Flash default). Also, if you like to save stuff at each refresh (say, eye tracking data, mouse cursor position during a continuous response experiment), it starts getting important just how often this is.

Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow