Joystick in E-Prime 1.x

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Mar 5 14:54:57 UTC 2010

Tobias,

Matt Lenhart from PST answered this question in a thread here on the
Google Group back in Sep 2008, if you search using the term
"joystick" then you will find it (and I am adding that excellent
thread to my own FAQ file).  But here is a very brief synopsis:

- EP1 can use only joystick buttons, not position, and then only via
the parallel or game ports (i.e., the same way that all versions of
EP can use arbitrary switch closures -- see also the thread at
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/c30e82d362d9f276
).  (Although, if I recall the operation of the game port, EP1 could
still get joystick position through a game port if you added
sufficient inline code.)

- The base edition of EP2 will handle both buttons and postion of
ordinary joysticks, but requires extensive inline code.

- The Pro edition of EP2 makes more of the joystick functionality
available directly through the E-Studio GUI.