Display text (or anything) in front of a video

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Mar 9 16:16:22 UTC 2010

Mary,

As an exercise, I explored this myself further using some typical
non-Slide techniques for superimposing (overlaying) visual stimuli in
E-Prime:  (1) setting the movie/slide object Duration to 0, StopAfter
to No, and following this with a regular Text object with a limited
Frame size/position and BackStyle = transparent;  (2) using a normal
Duration on the movie/slide object, setting PreRelease the at least
as long as Duration, and following that with inline code to display
the text (e.g., Text.Draw or Canvas.Text).

In both cases, even though my text by design clearly did *not* go to
the screen until *after* the movie started, and the movie did
continue to play, the movie immediately overwrote my text display (I
was careful to make the text and movie frames overlap in such a way
that I could still see a portion of the text beyond the edge of the
movie window).  And when you think about it, this all makes
sense.  Remember, a movie presents a rapid *sequence* of images, one
frame at a time.  So if you try to put a static text or image in the
same space, as soon as the movie moves on to its next frame it *must*
overwrite your "overlay"!

I do not see any way to overcome this except to edit your overlay
directly into the movie file (as David V suggest), or to incorporate
sophisticated on-the-fly video mixing facilities directly into the
software, much as you might find in a modern television
studio.  Personally, this goes beyond anything I would ask of
E-Prime, although for all I know something like MatLab can already do
this.  Hmm, but if E-Prime would allow playing multiple overlapping
movies on one Slide then that would itself add a fair degree of
on-the-fly video mixing...