On one slide, show different images, loaded from a list

dkmcf mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Mar 12 13:53:17 UTC 2010

Vera,

Glad you got it to work, and thank you for a full presentation of your
solution!  But I feel I must provide an editorial reply to your own
editorial comment.

> I am still convinced that E-Prime should work without programming

In this case one solution does not require any code, as I demonstrate
above (unless I just do not fully understand your task).  But more
broadly, I just do not understand people who think that giving precise
instructions to a machine with infinite possibilities (i.e., a
Universal Turing Machine, look that up on Wikipedia) should "work
without programming",  any more than I would understand anyone who
thinks that scientific publications should "work without science-
speak".  I have looked at many other experiment generating systems
that "work without programming", and none of them, without
programming, come close to the capabilities of what E-Prime can do
because of its programming.  In fact, my sole reason for endorsing E-
Prime is precisely that it still includes a strong, conventional
programming language.  Please see my signature quote below.

"When all is said and told, the 'naturalness' with which we use our
native tongues boils down to the ease with which we can use them for
making statements the nonsense of which is not obvious."  Edsger W.
Dijkstra, "On the foolishness of 'natural language programming'",
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD06xx/EWD667.html
.