Feedback for anticipation

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Mar 15 17:43:25 UTC 2010

Mich,

>Without inline, the easiest thing would be to make some kind of
>nasty spider-web of a programme containing multiple jump labels:
>
>Fixation-->if response jump label1
>Fixation-->no response-->images-->some kind of response-->jump label2
>Procedure:
>Fixation-->Stimuli-->Response-->Label1-->SoundWarning-->Label2-->EndOfTrial

Funny you should mention using multiple overlapping Jump Labels,
since I just looked into this myself a few weeks ago.  Did you ever
get that to work yourself?  How?  I found it completely impossible
for the following reasons:

1) Any one E-Studio object has only one Jump Label that applies to
all its End Action = Jump input masks; i.e., E-Studio has no
mechanism for allowing multiple Jump Labels from any one object.

2) To circumvent that, I used two objects with overlapping extended
input Time Limits, giving a different Jump Label to the input mask
for each object.  In this case, any input that I gave that had End
Action = Jump jumped to the Jump Label from the second object, never
to the Jump Label from the first object.

3) If you look into the code generated by E-Prime, you will see why
this must be so.  First, you will see that every Label object
produces the following code:  If Err.Number = ebInputAccepted Then
...  Second, you will see a line like On Error Goto MyJumpLabel back
up by where your input mask gets reset (and note further that
MyJumpLabel never appears in the input mask definition itself).  From
that you will see that E-Prime implements Jump Labels merely by some
clever hijacking of the error handling facility built into Visual
Basic.  And since Visual Basic (and thus E-Basic) can have only one
error handler in effect at any time, E-Prime can have only one Jump
Label in effect at any time.

Just trying to keep the record straight.  Of course, you will not
find anthing about this in the documentation from PST.  And as usual,
do not take even my word for any of this, you have to try it out for yourself.

Best regards,