the most stupid randomization problem

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 13:49:33 UTC 2010

Hi,
What's so stupid about the question? Okay, I get that the problem is quite easily explained, but once you'd be able to exactly state how one would do something about it to solve it, just with words, it's a breeze to solve in programming. In a way, finding it really simple (but not knowing how), is similar to what most of us deal with in daily life once we're trying to really explain what we're working on in psychology: 'I'm trying to understand how people segregate objects from the background'... reply: 'what's so difficult about that?'... 'so you tell me how a brain can do this?' ... 'well, you just *DO* it, see? Simple!'

Anyway, never mind the rant (bit sick, feel like ranting), here's a stupid way to solve your problem:
Dim myTrials(90) as integer
Dim I as integer
Dim thistry as integer

For I = 1 to 90
	myTrials(I) = I mod 10
Next I

TryAgain:		'this is the syntax for a label
RandomizeArray myTrials	'randomising the array
Thistry = thistry + 1
Debug.print "Try " & cstr(Thistry)	'so that we can see how often it randomised it
For I = 1 to 89
	If myTrials(I) = myTrials(I+1) then goto TryAgain	'very ugly programming, but should work.
Next I

...Something like that. Basically, we keep on randomising until no subsequent number is the same as the current. Then have a trialcountervariable that is updated every trial and dosomething like c.SetAttrib "myFavouriteAttribute", myTrials(trialcountervariable).

Can't check if my syntax is correct now though (failed install of the net station package files, and now e-prime doesn't work anymore).

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham