disabling input for specific keyboard keys

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 20:39:36 UTC 2010

Hey!
At least in Windows, you only should not press the Windows key on the
keyboard... If it'd been a mac, I wouldn't been able to lean against one
side of the display which suddenly magically turns the computer off or,
conversely, be able to poll the other mouse key. Also, one might blame
hardware producers (I've got a TechSolo keyboard here, for instance) for
putting windows keys there, rather than the OS.

Oops, excuse me - I always feel the need for defending MS against the
onslaught of windows-bashers... after all, those initials are pure gold!

On a more informative note, you might 1) use different keys, making it
pretty unlikely that your subjects press the Windows key, 2) use that
screwdriver anyway and just plug back the key afterwards. Nobody will
notice :) Try at home first, or, if you're really unsure, just buy one
for $6 (or half that, second hand), yank out those keys and plug in the
old one. Actually, old keyboards (from E-Prime 1 era, which still
recommended Win98SE just about until E-Prime 2 was released) typically
don't even have Win keys.

Cheers,

M.S.
Research Fellow