Pre-load movies in E-prime

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 11 15:15:29 UTC 2010

Jason,

Hope somebody else has an answer here, but you should also take this
right to PST's trained staff at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp .  They strive
to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours (although latest reports
indicate more like 10 days), and this is pretty much their substitute
for proper documentation, so make full use of it.  And if you do get
an answer from PST Web Support, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the rest of us.

That said, I really wonder if E-Prime (or any video-playing system)
does fully load files before playing?  I would think that they all
stream from disk through some buffer, so EP may only be trying to
load that buffer before starting playback of each file.  So if you
cannot fully pre-load (cache?) each file to a separate buffer (along
with switching playback buffers on demand, which is what you would
need to do), perhaps you could reduce the buffer so that it loads
less at the start and starts streaming sooner?  But I do not really
know anything about video, just guessing here based on general
knowledge of digital systems.

Thanks,