How to install EPrime Standard (or Professional) Silently under XP

LizaM liza.mccarron at uwe.ac.uk
Wed May 19 08:40:03 UTC 2010

According to PST you can only do a silent install with EPrime
Professional. (A silent install is one where the installer just gets
on with installing and asks no questions!)

As I wanted to install EPrime standard via our SMS server (used to
deliver the same build to all PCs with the same functionality - a
great time saver!) I decided to play around and see if it would work -
the blanket install is so that we can use our copies of EPrime Run
Time in our 23 PC student lab, the dongled installs for academics and
technical staff are still done manually and I haven't tested whether
the silent install installs the hasp drivers correctly - It doesn't
install the SRbox etc but these can be done manually.  Please note
that this installs a full copy of EPrime - to use the run time part
(which you have 25 licences for with each full dongled copy of
EPrime)  just ignore the EStudio part and just use RunTime.  If you
don't have a centrally managed installation system then the same
principle could be used with a bit of Dos based scripting to deliver
the install files to multiple machines and then to do a local install
from a remote location thus saving having to log on and off multiple
machines to do the installs and select the various options!

Firstly use Winzip or Winrar or similar to unzip the installation .exe
file to a folder (The version I used was 2.0.8.22 Standard).

In the folder you will then have several files, including E-Prime
2.0.msi and Data1.cab - from testing it would seems these are the only
file needed for the silent install.  PortdriverInstaller.exe and
SRBoxDriverinstaller.exe install the port and SR Box drivers and can
be installed afterwards if needed.

Select Start and choose run in the run box type:

msiexec /i "D:\eprime 2.0.msi" /qb

(where location of the .msi and the .cab file is D:\)

and EPrime will install silently without any prompts and a few moments
later will appear on the start menu!.

Worth playing around with if you just want an install for run time
etc.  Hope this proves useful.

Cheers

Liza