Complex (for me) randomization

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed May 19 17:11:22 UTC 2010

Christophe,

Thanks for posting that.  I am glad that you were clever enough to
cobble together a solution.  But if you take another look at the Slide
exercise in the User's Guide, you might see that Slides offer a more
general and flexible solution.  So here is another approach.

As before, in BlockList create an attribute called, say, BlockFace.
Have your BlockProc do nothing more than call TrialList (do *not* have
it present any Image or stimulus)   Then in your TrialList create an
attribute called, say, TrialFace.  Now put a Slide into the TrialProc,
let's call that StimSlide.  Add two SlideImage sub-objects in the
appropriate places on the StimSlide.  In one SlideImage sub-object use
"[BlockFace]" (without the quotes) for the File Name, in the other
SlideImage use (you guessed it) "[TrialFace]".  And Bob's your uncle!

That may at first glance look like a more involved process, but as many
others here may attest, if you take the time to learn how to use Slides
you will find that it pays great dividends.

Regards,