Read out certain levels only

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu May 20 18:39:53 UTC 2010

Vera,

Thanks for writing back with the update...

At 5/19/2010 07:42 AM Wednesday, you wrote:
>To the trigger value question, you are probably right that I should
>foresee what happens is the trigger is < 0 or > 7. But in practice
>this will just not happen, as we are using the first 4 bits of a
>parallelport only (0, 1, 2, 4). :-)

Just on that point, 4 bits still allows values from 0 all the way to
decimal 15, so you should still think about what happens with
7, but even then courtesy dictates a comment to that effect.

(Also, if it were me, I would still apply a mask to absolutely
eliminate mistakes from stray signals, e.g.,

Const  WireMask as Integer = &H0F  ' lower 4 bits, decimal 15
NewTriggerValue = NewTriggerValue or WireMask  ' do bitwise Or

.)

Ever harping on minutiae,