EEG Pulse Duration with Onsetsignal

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Nov 16 20:37:01 UTC 2010

Fair question.  But I will still give my stock reminder:  1) I do not
work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours (although current
estimates are more like 10 days) -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of it.  3) If
you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend the courtesy
of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

On top of that, I will tell you to not take my word for
this.  Ideally, you will hook up a voltmeter or oscilloscope to your
paralell port and measure the actual duration of your "pulse".  That
would settle the question.

But now my answer.  E-Prime will set the OnsetSignalPort to the value
in OnsetSignalData at the onset time of your Slide object.  That
value will remain on the port until it is replaced with something
else.  In particular, EP will set the OffsetSignalPort to the value
in OffsetSignalData at the *offset* time of your Slide object; as
long as OffsetSignalPort = OnsetSignalPort (and OffsetSignalData <>
OnsetSignalData), this means that the "pulse" will last from the
onset time of your Slide object until the offset time of the
Slide.  Now note that the target offset time of your Slide will be
onset time - PreRelease.  So, putting this all together, the pulse
will last for more or less Duration - PreRelease ms, depending on
onset and offset delays; if PreRelease = 0, then the pulse should
last about Duration ms.

So let's illustrate this with some numbers.  You have
Slide.OffsetSignalPort = Slide.OnsetSignalPort, Slide.OnsetSignalData
= 5, Slide.OffsetSignalData = 0, Slide.Duration = 1500, and
Slide.PreRelease = 0.  In this case, the value 5 should go out to the
port and stay on for more or less 1500 - 0 = 1500 ms (depending on
onset & offset delays), and then go to 0.  If you set
Slide.PreRelease to, say, 1400, then the pulse will last more or less
1500 - 1400 = 100 ms.  (We do exactly this sort of thing to
manipulate pulse durations in our programs, but before you mess with
PreRelease please note carefully the caveats in Chapter 3 of the User's Guide.)

I hope this helps.