Pre-release in inLine script?

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 09:50:11 UTC 2010

Hi,
"Does anyone know if pre-release is possible to solve this problem?"
Generally, yes. See the appropriate chapter from the manual on that. However, since your timing problem concerns whole blocks, rather than trials, you might have some difficulty (i.e., you can shift some timing problems to the end of your trial, but that won't immediately help you). I was wondering, though, what do you mean 'a large amount of drawing'? Do you have a drawing experiment (say, with a digital pen and tablet) or do you use tons of canvas scripts to "draw" on a screen? I expect the latter. In this case, you should really consider using a "buffered screen" (rather than pre-release) where you first draw at whatever time you see fit, then, when finished drawing, replace the 'active' screen display for the buffered screen. I can send you examples, if you like.

"Currently, I have to do data logging by using an object (as suggested by the PST technician). This object breaks my inLine script. Thus, the screen is being refreshed and flashing is resulted."

"Thus" is not correct. The screen does not need to flash due to you 'using an object', for three reasons:
1. If screen A), say, your drawing screen, has a black background and interrupted by a black screen, it should not be visible. You can also consider using 0 pixels width and 0 pixels height text displays, drawn in the lower right corner, use no clear after, and voila, no problem.
2. If you do not set vertical onset sync to on, it will not refresh. Offset sync is off by default, but you might check that too.
3. You could (and should) consider placing the logging screen BEFORE the drawing. Let it have a max count responses (see advanced properties in duration/input) of 100, a duration of 0 and a time-limit of 10000 (or whatever) and check responses afterwards (or whenever you feel like it). The running of this object should not interfere visually with the drawing. Go to Ebasic help and find: InputMask.Responses (property)

Hope that helps,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow