Sound files, Crashing, and Windows 7 (not as catchy as sun, sea and sangria) Update??

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Oct 5 16:16:51 UTC 2010

Aoife,

>My university has now updated all machines to Windows 7 (and my own
>personal laptop is on
>windows 7)

As you found out, this is a big, big mistake.  Folks, take control,
do NOT let your universities do this to you!!  Around here we have a
firm policy of ordering lab computers with XP already installed, and
as a last resort we reformat and install XP ourselves.  Sorry state
of affairs, I agree, but it does the job.  (And yes, I know
researchers who wish they could still do everything in DOS.)