Can you use an RB-530 box with E-Run?

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 10:33:41 UTC 2010

Hi Tony,
Oops, I should indeed have known - I'm even using one myself! I did find the driver installation to be a pain, however, especially if you have followed the latest (renewed, last September) one: installation requires running de-installation and 3 different pieces of software. I'm not sure about the state of dongles, but isn't your dongle only required for installation, not running?  Or is that a different thing with site licenses? The version I download (1.1 is the only one I've seen on CD, but I really recommend 1.2) only requires the dongle during installation.

"The box works ok with E-Studio installed but not with E-Run but does not make sense as the drivers install ok but when tesing with Hyperterminal producers a 'port already in use' error."

Erm, sorry, you lost me there. If you mean 'in E-Run with E-Studio installed but not with only E-Run installed', I understand and agree this is weird - since it acts as if it is a genuine PST SRBox, it should be as available in your set-up as the SRBox. However, if you mean 'with E-Studio installed and running (from E-Studio) but not with (running it from) E-Run', then: I'd like to confirm that the RB530 can most definitely be used in just E-Run (I do); but I'm not sure whether you can run it in E-Run without having installed E-Studio.

Best,
Mich

PS: Yes, so I skip the 'how to install' bits from this and most manuals (apart from the Cedrus , quite bad I admit, and also don't read the license agreement.

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham