Can you use an RB-530 box with E-Run?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Oct 8 21:35:56 UTC 2010

At 10/8/2010 05:17 AM Friday, Evertox wrote:
>I install E-RUN on an individual PC just to run the experiments whilst
>freeing up my dongle to continue developing.
>
>It can be installed using the 'Subject Station' option from the E-
>Prime installation CD (see User Guide).

Sigh.  This bit of misunderstanding seems to never go away.  Let me
try once again to set this straight.  Doing a "Subject Station"
installation of EP does *not* free up a dongle to continue
developing, for the simple reason that doing a full installation of
EP does not *tie up* a dongle in the first place.  You may do a full
installation of EP on as many machines as you like within your
lab.  Whichever of those machines has the hardware key ("dongle") at
that moment can be used as the development machine, any others work
in effect as subject and data stations.  Let me repeat
that:  E-Studio is the only application of the E-Prime suite that
requires the hardware key in order to run; all the others (E-Run,
E-DataAid, E-Merge, etc.) will run without the hardware key.  Having
E-Studio installed on a subject station does not interfere at all
with its use as a subject station, to the contrary it only means that
it could be pressed into service as a development station at any moment.

Thus, doing a Subject Station installation provides no benefit
whatsoever, and from what I see on the message boards actually
introduces problems that could be avoided with a full
installation.  I see no reason for ever doing a Subject Station
installation -- if you simply do a full installation on every machine
in sight, then you can use them all as subject and data stations,
with the flexibility that at any moment any of them can be pressed
into service as a development station merely by plugging in the hardware key.

We have use EP around here for over decade and have installed it on
over a hundred machines, we have *never* done a Subject Station
installation and that has never caused a problem for us.