Superimposing prime/distractor after a delay

寻找知识 jess.s.nixon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 21:11:56 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I want to present a target picture (for 57ms) followed by a word
superimposed over the picture. (The 'positive SOA' in the picture-word
interference paradigm).

I saw a similar query here:
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/1a8ceb9a24da0dfa/5f8769c586733592?lnk=gst&q=superimpose#5f8769c586733592
but it looks like in that case the displays are sequential rather than
superimposed. (I have no problem superimposing stimuli simultaneously,
but I cannot find the settings for inserting a delay).

My first attempt is like this:
I have an Image Display for the target, followed by a Text Display for
the 'distractor' word. I set the Image Display Duration to 57ms, the
End Action to None, and Clear After to No. With these settings, it
still 'clears after' - i.e. when the Text Display appears, the Image
Display disappears. I want the text to appear over the top of the
picture.

If the Displays are presented within one slide, then there are no
options for Duration, etc. for each of the separate component
Displays.

The only way I can think of is to present the Image Display for 57ms,
followed a Slide which presents the two stimuli simultaneously. But
this seems very clumsy and the RT will start recording 57ms late.

I'm sure there is something very simple I'm missing. If anyone has any
suggestions, they'd be very welcome!

Thanks,
Jessie