Superimposing prime/distractor after a delay

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 21 21:58:48 UTC 2010

Jessie,

>I want to present a target picture (for 57ms) followed by a word
>superimposed over the picture. (The 'positive SOA' in the picture-word
>interference paradigm).
>
>I saw a similar query here:
>http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/1a8ceb9a24da0dfa/5f8769c586733592?lnk=gst&q=superimpose#5f8769c586733592
>but it looks like in that case the displays are sequential rather than
>superimposed. (I have no problem superimposing stimuli simultaneously,
>but I cannot find the settings for inserting a delay).

To the contrary, that post exactly answers your question, i.e., the
stimuli are *both* sequential *and* superimposed, which is exactly
what you have asked for.  Read it carefully again.  In particular,
imagine what a TextDisplay BackStyle of Transparent might do.

>My first attempt is like this:
>I have an Image Display for the target, followed by a Text Display for
>the 'distractor' word. I set the Image Display Duration to 57ms, the
>End Action to None, and Clear After to No. With these settings, it
>still 'clears after' - i.e. when the Text Display appears, the Image
>Display disappears. I want the text to appear over the top of the
>picture.
>
>If the Displays are presented within one slide, then there are no
>options for Duration, etc. for each of the separate component
>Displays.
>
>The only way I can think of is to present the Image Display for 57ms,
>followed a Slide which presents the two stimuli simultaneously. But
>this seems very clumsy and the RT will start recording 57ms late.

Actually, this would be a very ordinary way to do this in EP, and
even though I know how to do overlays, for a simple 1-2 overlay as
you describe I would probably do it with an image followed by a Slide
that contains the image plus the text.  Note that even in this case
you might want to attend to the BackStyle property of the SlideText
object, plus its other Frame properties.  As for the RT, as also
mentioned in the original post, simply use Extended Input with the
initial stimulus, and do not have the Slide that follows the initial
stimulus collect any response.