(Not) Understanding edat time variable(s)

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Sep 3 17:15:14 UTC 2010

Jason,

Ah, IFIS!  You didn't say that at the start, in that case all bets
are off!  We used IFIS for many years and finally abondoned it a few
years back for our own custom setup, what a relief!  I can't believe
anyone still uses that outmoded system.  IFIS is a mess, it forces a
draconian task structure using several PackageCalls, it adds all
sorts of attributes and overrides your E-Prime settings with settings
that it hides in several Lists in Unreferenced E-Objects without
explanation, and generally completely violates the well-designed task
representation already provided by the designers of E-Prime.  And it
requires two computers for no good reason, and requires leaving a
wide open network share, what an invitation for hackers!  And the
documentation is even worse than that for E-Prime, I had to work out
all the principles and "gotchas" myself and distilled it down to a
three-page writeup that explained more than their entire sorry excuse
for a manual.  Don't get me started!  I feel sorry for you.