Problems with randomizing nested lists by condition

Micah ucfmicah at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:58:46 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am relatively new to E-prime programming, and have hit a roadblock
in developing an fMRI paradigm. The paradigm I am trying to replicate
is basically a passive trait-adjective viewing task. You can view the
paper I'm getting the paradigm from here:

http://scan.oxfordjournals.org/content/2/4/313.long

Anyway, here are the essentials of the design:

Participants are pre-trained in the distinction between narrative
focus (NF) and experiential focus (EF). For the task, participants
view a cue (either the word 'judge' or 'sense' with a corresponding
picture below it) followed by 6 trait-adjectives. These adjectives are
selected from 8 list of words, and it is important that the selection
of each list is randomized by condition (judge or sense). The paradigm
proceeds in 2 runs, with each condition running twice per run, and the
lists should be also randomized between runs. This is where I have had
problems- I can get the wordlists to be randomly selected via nested
lists for each condition, but checking my logs I can see that some
lists are being selected twice. Here is an attempted summary of my set
up:

SessionProc
-Blocklist1
 -BlockProc
  -DesignList
   -? [ListNumber:1]
   -? [ListNumber:2]
   -? [ListNumber:3]
   -? [ListNumber:4]
      -TrialProc
       -Slide1
       -Stimulus
       -ISI
       -Stimulus
       -ISI
       -Stimulus
       -ISI
       -Stimulus
       -ISI
       -Stimulus
       -ISI
       -Stimulus

My BlockList is just a 4-row list with the vairable ListNumber and
WordList1 through WordList4. I am using 8 nested lists for each
individual 6-item word list. My design list uses nested lists
[ListNumber:1-4], with variables for Condition, PrimeImage, PrimeText,
and [Stim:1] through [Stim:6]. [Stim] is a variable in each of the
wordlists and is used in each stimulus text display. I then repeat
this entire structure for Run2, but with the BlockList listing
WordLists 5-8.

I hope this is at all clear. It is a relatively simply paradigm with
no response task, but I cannot seem to get it to work right.