string input with spaces

Matthew matthewdwood82 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:39:42 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have trouble with a problem solving experiment a student in a class
I'm TAing put together.  Rebus puzzles (e.g. http://preview.tinyurl.com/3s73mwj)
are being used as the task.  The answers to these puzzles are short
idioms or sayings (e.g. "a cut above the rest").

The script has a slide which presents the puzzle stimulus (picture
file) and echoes input from the keyboard.  Problem is, when the answer
held in  our [CorrectAnswer] attribute is a string that contains
spaces, we either get an error message "Correct is not part of
allowable," or the script fails to recognize that a correct answer has
been provided.  I've mucked around with various settings of allowable
input in the Duration/Input and Echo submenus of the SlideObject, and
am having trouble remembering which mapped to which.

I think the problem is somewhere in how the input is being parsed and
compared to the value held in the list attribute [CorrectAnswer].  Our
current workaround is to omit spaces from all responses, but it seems
like the fix should be fairly simple (whatever it is).  Am happy to
send a copy of the experiment on request.

Thanks for your help,
-Matt