string input with spaces

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:53:02 UTC 2011

Hi Matt,

Not sure this helps (you're no spaces work around sounds fine to me,
too?) but here are my 2 cents:

In your current set-up: how does the slide advance/terminate after the
subject has provided his/her answer?
I am kinda guessing that you're using a double input mask, one for the
keyboard and it's echo and one for the mouse that has a termination
response. Is this the case?

For some reason.. don't ask me why, I see that in such a case at the
slide termination the mouse response (1 for left and 2 for right
button) is logged into the attribute slidename.resp... when
calculating the accuracy (slidename.acc) e-prime compares
slidename.resp with slidename.cresp... obviously, if slidename.resp
contains value "1", this does not match with your string answer.

So... ermm... remove the mouse input mask and make for instance the
right arrow the termination response (enter {rightarrow} into the box
termination response). Now your pp can type their answer and then
press right arrow to continue to the next slide and their typed answer
remains logged into slidename.resp and can be compared to
slidename.cresp. Do note that the echo logs all keys pressed including
function keys: {SPACE}  and also the {RIGHTARROW} that pp press to
terminate the slide. So in your correctanswer the answer: "This answer
contains a space", should read: This{SPACE}answer{SPACE}contains{SPACE}
a{SPACE}space{RIGHTARROW} . If I do that I can get e-prime to log my
response (this answer contains a space) as correct... but I'd reckon
this method is pretty harsh, also when it comes to pp making typoes
and such...

best,

liw