Using EBasic

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Apr 18 19:23:14 UTC 2011

Lisa,

As I recall, Presentation has some very nice high-level facilities
for generating complex and dynamic visual stimuli on the fly.  By
contrast, E-Prime has no such facilities.  EP can do some limited
things with text, for anything else it usually just presents image,
sound, or movie files.  But you can go beyond this with low-level
E-Basic code, for that you  would make extensive use of the methods
of the Canvas object -- see the Canvas topic in the online E-Basic
Help.  To do this well you would probably want to make a bunch of
custom subroutines or functions to recreate some of what Presentation
did for you -- for more on making subroutines and functions, you
might take a look at Chapter 4 of the User's Guide that came with
E-Prime, and more particularly work through the classic "VBA for Dummies".

Of course, you could just do this all back in Presentation, which you
know already does this; or even better, do this all in MATLAB using
the Psychophysics Toolbox, which has fantastic visual presentation support.

On an off-topic digression, I just learned about a new free
open-source cross-platform Python-based system called OpenSesame
(http://www.cogsci.nl/software/opensesame ).  Has anybody tried this,
and can comment on how it stacks up against E-Prime or other products?