How to fade from slide1 to slide2 (inline?)

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 10:53:17 UTC 2011

Hiya,
Sounds like a nice paradigm!
... however, fading, much like movement, is not all that easy in E-Prime, though it can be done. For a nice example, see the E-Primer thingy (on my website, about me, underneath everything else - it takes some time to download) in which you learn, somewhere, to make a box move. Knowing that, you can do the same, but then with the colour.
So, one, you realise that colours in E-Prime are represented as 3 bytes (i.e. 3 values between 0 and 255) in RGB (redgreenblue) space. Thus, from Red (255, 0, 0) to Blue (0,0,255), should be possible by going linearly from 255->0 on the first (red) dimension, and 0->255 on the third (blue) dimension - passing, for instance, somewhere along the way 128,0,128 (purple).
Knowing that, you could do all this neatly using a little list in between your stimuli to do the whole fading. The list can then have an exit-time of exactly the amount of time you wish to spend fading. Inside the list is the simple procedure with a slide taking, say, 15 ms, and then you change the colour attributes just before every time the slide is shown. For instance, if the slide would have a text display showing [name], in forecolour being [colour], you could simply change the attribute as long as you know:
- How much time has passed since beginning of the fading?
- How long should the slide take?
- What's the begin colour?
- What's the end colour?
Then, you could simply linearly interpolate between colours and set the [colour] accordingly.

Well, there are quite a few ways to go about this, but none, as far as I can see, for a first-time E-Prime user exactly simple. As for pixel-by-pixel fading, you could do that... but it will take some canvas programming. More difficult than the above.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow