adjusting time of stimulus presentation by key presses

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Apr 21 16:14:32 UTC 2011

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

First, it is very possible to make such a task in E-Prime, though it
will not be simple.  In short, you could use an attribute reference
for the Duration property of each stimulus, and then adjust that
attribute value in inline code using c.SetAttrib (see Chapter 4 of
the User's Guide that came with E-Prime, and the "Context" topic in
the online E-Basic Help).  You will also need some global variables
to keep track of things, once again see Chapter 4.  To use "up" &
"down" key responses you will have to use the {key} nomenclature, see
that topic in the online E-Basic Help.  You might also want to learn
about using releases as responses in case you want to do things by
having subjects press & hold a key, etc.  To create your graphics,
you might use another attrbute reference to set the Height or Width
property of objects on a Slide (my own favorite trick), or delve
right into the Canvas object and draw whatever you like.

I leave the rest as an exercise for you.