CodecConfig crashes immediately + refreshment error with two 120 Hz LCD monitors driven by an ATI card

Roland Dardennes r.dardennes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 21:46:56 UTC 2011

Good evening,

I am trying to load a wmv movie in an experiment. For this purpose, I
launched CodecConfig but it crashes immediately. After reading EP2 KB
I made an update from revision 2.0.8.74 to 2.0.8.90.
But CodecConfig still crashes on my SP3 XP Sony Vaio RX406.
I had no problem using the old version on my W7 HP EliteBook laptop,
but it crashes everytime on my Sony.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Meanwhile, I will use VLC to show the movie (it is just a relaxing
sequence to get a baseline for GSR sampling).

Another problem is the use of two displays. When I used an old CRT
Viewsonic parallel to a LCD Viewsonic, I could have a monitor for the
participant while monitoring on the LCD. I changed it for a 120 Hz LCD
monitor (the other one is also a 120 Hz monitor) but had to use the
Graphic Card software - ATI Catalyst - to make them work properly.
Then, I launched an experiment and I got a refreshment error because E-
Prime could not get a refresh rate higher than 40 (and both monitors
are setup for 120 Hz refreshment rate).

If someone did have a problem of this kind, I would appreciate knowing
how the problem was solved.

Thank you for this very useful E-Prime Group that provides excellent
help facing the poor documentation of E-Prime, Basic-Help included.

RD