Tower of hanoi task

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Apr 28 19:16:05 UTC 2011

Luke,

Thanks to the abundant detail in your post (including precise
directions to find the troubled program), I took an interest in this puzzle.

If you look around the code where the program fails, you will see
that it is in an inline called InitTrial.  If you look at InitTrial,
you will see that it contains the lines

     ActionList.LoadMethod = ebLoadMethodEmbedded
     ActionList.Load

(it fails at ActionList.Load).

Now, if you look in the Full script window to the InitObjects()
subroutine, you will where ActionList gets set up in that subroutine,
starting with lines like

     Set ActionList = New List

and coming to

     ActionList.LoadProperties

At least, that is the code generated by EP2 (EP2.0.8.22 to be exact;
I know, I need to upgrade).  By contrast, where EP2 generates
ActionList.LoadProperties, EP1 generates several other lines, including

     ActionList.LoadMethod = ebLoadMethodEmbedded
     ActionList.Load

i.e., the very two lines that you see up in the InitTrial inline.

Note two things here:  (1) EP2 does not use the .LoadMethod and .Load
methods, having replaced those with .LoadProperties (which AFAIK PST
has not yet bothered to document for us);  (2) Since the InitObjects
subroutine already does all the setup for ActionList, those two lines
in the InitTrial inline were always redundant anyway.

So the solution comes down merely to getting rid of those two lines
in the InitTrial inline.  To be sure, I did this in both EP1 and EP2
and then the program works fine.  I will send this to the STEP folks
so they may update their example (and thanks again to Paul Groot for
writing and contributing this nice TOH program in the first place).