Randomized selection of stimuli across trials

HalleZ zhallez at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 19:46:03 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am trying to program an experiment where I have three different
words presented on each trial. I would like ePrime to uniquely select,
without replacement across trials in a single session, the three words
that get combined into a single trial so that this triplet is unique
for each person. Currently, I have a separate text object in my
TrialProcedure for each word (Word1, Word 2, Word3) with each of these
text objects pulling from the same list ("Words") of all of my words
(so, on each text object it pulls the attribute [Word] from the
"Words" list). In my list object called "Words" where all of my
stimuli are listed, I have the properties set so that the selection
method is "random" (i.e., without replacement). However, ePrime pulls
the same words within a trial (so, people might see "cat", "dog",
"cat" but what I want them to see is three unique words like "cat",
"dog", "bunny"). What did I do wrong? Is this property of no
replacement only applied across trials?

Thanks for the help!

-Halle